Wednesday, April 30, 2014

DIY generators roundup

I will be posting a series of roundups in the next few days.
links that over the years I shared on my Facebook page, that - for several reasons - I'm about to close.
I'll be still on Facebook, and if you'd like to follow, you can do it HERE... please do!

Generators make life easier. ... and more fun!




cross stitch:



machine knitting:


I have used and still use almost all of these links. If you have more that you find interesting and fun to use, please comment and I'll make sure to add it and keep the list growing!

xox, d.

keep in touch! 

Saturday, April 19, 2014

DIY intarsia coral sweater

I made it! 

Intarsia on my knitting machine, and it's a coral brach 

(of course)

I love intarsia knits  and if you read this blog for a while, you know I have a big crash for anything CORAL.

So, once I got out of the box my intarsia carriage, the first thing that I wanted to make was a coral branch sweater.

This is how it turned out... I'm so happy!
displayed with my DIY coral necklace. 

here my inspiration and process: 

top left photo: Risto coral intarsia sweater - SS2013 -
top center photo: Alessi Mediterraneo fruit holder
top right photo: my drawing on the iPad
bottom photos: my sketches and the final intarsia sweater
The sweater is made of cotton, in ivory and red.
It's a boxy shaped, with a rather wide crew-neck, medium-light weight, perfect for summer.

I wanted to have a larger branch on the front and a smaller one on the back.

I draw the coral branch all in one piece, and traced a red line in the pattern where the brach would be split between the front and back of the sweater, this way I could keep a balance within the design.
The last row both in the front and in the back has the exact number of stitches in the red cotton, so that the color work matches at the shoulder join.

my drawing on the ipad
I used the pattern generator on stitchboard,
then I had to modify it to make it the exact
number of rows of my sweater
the intarsia process isn't exactly relaxing: I used a ruler
to keep track of my work on the pattern
and at some points I was working with 8 different cones. 
Neck and bottom were handknitted in a 1:1 ribs with 2mm needles,
with the last 4 rows in stockinette to make the "curl"
It took me an entire morning to weave the ends. 
Detail on the sleeve: I made it slightly larger, to create a small fold at the top.

needless to say: I'm quite proud of my first machine knitted intarsia! 
It was a lot of work, but totally worthy!

xox, d.

keep in touch! 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...