I've been o.b.s.e.s.s.e.d. with the Dee-Dee Phillip Lim booties since... ever.
I spotted them last year, and couldn't get these beauties out of my mind.
On my feet.
... My DIY version!
|image on the left from www.style.com|
I found on Ebay a pair of Charles David booties in dark brown that could be the right fit for the challenge (at a 41$ including shipping??? in my size??? no brainer!!)
This is not exactly a fast project, but I'm so happy with the result it was wort it!! :)
--> This is how I did:
Measure. And... measure, make paper templates and measure again.
The grommets fringe:
* cut 2 pieces of dark brown leather 12" x 2" and 2 pieces 12" x 1-1/2"
* on the wrong side of the leather, mark an horizontal line at 1/2"
* mark with two tiny lines every 1/2" for the whole length
* cut the vertical lines up to the 1/2" horizontal line
* mark the middle of the 1/2" slot with a dot
* punch holes with the grommet plier in every tiny spot
* place the 1-1/2" wide strip over the 2" one and sew it on
(I used a leather needle on my machine and works wonders!)
* have fun with all the 96 grommets to ply closed :)
Because this was pretty much a project of trials and errors, I realized that I didn't have enough leather (since I used scraps from my stash...) to make two complete wraps around the ankles, so I ended up making with the leftovers pieces of leather, two more pieces of fringes with grommets of about half the size of the previous one, and stitched under the longer ones.
--> The tassels:
* cut 4 pieces of leather 3" x 5-1/2"
* mark an horizontal line at about 1/2" from the top
* mark dots every 1/8" top and bottom
* connect the dots
* cut all the vertical lines up to the horizontal line on the top
* cut a single string of leather of 1/8" x xxxxxx
* place and glue one side of the string inside the beginning of the fringed piece of leather
* start rolling and glueing until the end
do the same on the other side of the cord and repeat for the next set of tassels.
|the DIY equation!!|
Now all the boring work is done: time to stitch the grommets fringes and the tassels onto the booties...