DIY an easy and washable pet bedIf you have a dog, you know all about rainy days, muddy days, chewy days, leaky days, dusty days, found a bone-or-dead-creature-and-having-fun days... do you need more "exhibit XY days"?
There's plenty of traces in their beds, usually...
Our beloved doggies can be quite messy.
Well, for sure mine are.
Lucky & Spota
... Lucky has everything blue to be color-matched to her blue eye... Like this bed, for example :)
Lucky posing in the bed mommy made for her :)
You can have the fall/winter version and the spring/summer one just by picking different fabric weights.
Because, let's face it: unless you spend an arm and a leg on pet's beds, they can be quite ugly, and most of the times some parts get damaged in a series of ways, so you are left with a portion of a pet bed and a hole in your wallet.
(don't forget that I'm tech challenged, so drawing and taking a picture is the best I could come up for a pattern... click on the picture for a bigger size, sorry and thanks for your understanding)
how-to: the pattern
--> MAKE your own (name of your pet's) bed:
* cut the two pieces of the pattern, leaving about 1/2" sewing allowance
* zig zag or serge the pieces
* take 8 pieces of m/f velcro and sew it down as in the picture, folding in your sewing allowance to have a finished edge
* take your ribbons and pin in place as shown the picture
* fold inside out the four "flaps" of the pattern and sew the side without the velcro
* reverse your fabric on the right side
* sew down the folded "flaps" along the rectangular base
* fold the flap toward the wrong side of the fabric and pin it in place
--> ALMOST DONE
* pin the top part onto the bottom part (the flap folded of the top has to be inside)
* sew it down on three sides (leaving the opening where the flap of the top is)
--> MATTRESS AND SIDES
You can either go with batting or foam, it's up to you (and your pet's preferences, of course), but either way, it's fast :)
* if you decide to go with batting, you need to have a pillow made on the size of your base without the flaps and four round "sausage" pillows for the sides, so you can remove those parts for being washed
* if you want to use foam, just cut the five pieces of foam and you can decide wether you want to insert the foam directly in the bed or you want a quick "any fabric will work" cover for it.
Tie the bows on four sides and you'll get a happy HIG PAWS, I promise you :)